<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Thank you, Cornville!

I'm a city boy, but went to Arizona for the long weekend. My girlfriend and I were heading out to visit some of her friends in a place called "Cornville." Yes ... it is as small, rural, out-of-the-way, and in the middle of fucking nowhere as it sounds. Dirt roads, goats, and only the sound of the birds and the wind. As it happens, we were going to a rather large party. We pulled up and I noticed that there was a live band in the front yard. Being from Los Angeles, I had an arrogant thought. This band is probably going to be interesting. I figured that since this was "Cornville" that the band would not be sophisticated, and that the listeners would all be clapping on one and three instead of two and four, etc. Well bust my buttons. I was very wrong, and I'm glad. The band was called "Cold December", and they kicked ass! In a way, I think the fact that they *weren't* in Los Angeles (or some other big city), that made them good. So many big city bands are trying to "make it". They have the attitude that they are geniuses, refuse to be categorized into any genre of music, and if you tell them they sound like so-and-so, they break down into tears. The problem is ... if you think you're a genius then you think that your shit don't stank, and confuse your shit with something really really brilliant. "Cold December" didn't have that attitude. These guys just worked hard to be good, and played in "Cornville" for one reason, well okay ... two reasons. They played because they love the music. And also for a few bucks and some free beer. I was absolutely transfixed by their version of "Knock Knock Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (a' la Dylan, not Axl Rose thank god). So I learned something. Big city bands suck. Give me a back-woods, home town, music-lovin' band any time!

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?